Thursday, December 30, 2010

You by Charles Benoit

You by Charles Benoit
Hardcover, 223 pages
Published August 24th 2010 by HarperTeen
“This wasn’t the way it was supposed to go.You’re just a typical fifteen-year-old sophomore, an average guy named Kyle Chase. This can’t be happening to you. But then, how do you explain all the blood? How do you explain how you got here in the first place? There had to have been signs, had to have been some clues it was coming. Did you miss them, or ignore them? Maybe if you can figure out where it all went wrong, you can still make it right. Or is it already too late? Think fast, Kyle. Time’s running out. How did this happen?
You is the riveting story of fifteen-year-old Kyle and the small choices he does and doesn’t make that lead to his own destruction.
In his stunning young-adult debut, Charles Benoit mixes riveting tension with an insightful—and unsettling—portrait of an ordinary teen in a tale that is taut, powerful, and shattering.” – Goodreads
My Opinion: I have to say that this book was not what I was expecting. It was very real and the emotions were so clear that I felt them as Kyle was feeling them. Charles Benoit did a great job writing in second person. It made the book so much more personal and easier to relate to Kyle. Kyle is a typical teenager I think. He just doesn’t know what he wants out of life and that is so easy to relate to. The emotions were very clear and I found that in the way Kyle thought sometimes, I found myself thinking that is so true. This was an amazing read and I can’t believe that I haven’t picked it up sooner. Definitely recommending to a lot of people.
I think however that my favorite character had to be Zack. I understand that he is a little weird in that way that he ends up controlling people into doing what they do, however my favorite line in the book is said by Zack and he says, “Don’t blame me Mr. Chase… I never told you what to do, I never tell anyone what to do. I make suggestions, I provide opportunities, and I make them very tempting, but when it comes down to it, everyone makes their own bad decisions.” (Benoit, 215) It reminds me of something the devil would say, and now that I think about devils, it reminds me of  the movie Bedazzled and Elizabeth Hurley. But I love that he says that because when we act we rarely think about the consequences to our actions and what might happen because of them. I really enjoyed the book, hope you guys do too.
Overall: 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment